Vaccination of cats

Is a vaccination really necessary? Lots of cats become old without any vaccinations right? And they never got infected by a contagious disease. This is true, but it has all to do with luck! About 20% of the cat owners go to the vet yearly, to get their cat vaccinated. The other 80% of the cat population ‘’float along’’ on this protection. If the 20% that does vaccinate their cat, stop this all at once, then we’ll see a lot of Feline Parvo (Panleukopenia) all of a sudden.

Yearly, a group of virologists (WSAVA) all over the world give an advice about the vaccines that are necessary to give (just like with humans). They have decided that it’s wise to vaccinate once every 3 years against Feline Parvo (Panleukopenia) and once a year against Cat Flu (in low populated area’s once every 3 years).

Feline Parvo (Panleukopenia) is caused by a parvovirus and it is very contagious and deathly disease. It causes vomiting and bloody diarrhea, and because of a shortage of white blood cells, other diseases can easily cause problems as well. The virus can live in the environment very long and infect a lot of other cats.

Cat Flu consists of a complex of viruses and bacteria. The most important are the herpes viruses and calici viruses. These viruses come (just like with our flu virus) in various forms. From mild to strong virulent strains. When a non vaccinated cat comes in contact with a virulent virus, it can get very sick (you can compare it with Covid). A runny nose, painful infected eyes and extensive ulcers in the mouth can appear, even as diarrhea. The cornea and nasal mucus can experience permanent damage. Because of the fever, the pain and the lack of smell, the cat can stop eating for a long time. Sometimes there will even appear a pneumonia because of an anterior respiratory infection. Hospitalization and expensive, intensive treatment are necessary. It is also possible to titrate for even better customization, for more information visit Titer testing.

What if I have a cat that just lives indoors

Cats that are kept indoors need to be vaccinated as well. Like said before, Feline Parvo (Panleukopenia) is highly contagious and you can easily take it into your home on your shoes and clothes.

Cat flu will transfer by direct contact of nasal discharge. When (for example) your neighbor’s cat sneezes, this discharge can easily reach your cat through open windows or balcony.

Indoor cats are very sensitive, because they never come in contact with the mild viruses that circulate within the cat population outdoors, they don’t have a natural defense against Cat Flu. When they have to go to the vet, or there comes a new cat/kitten into their home, they’re extra vulnerable.

Health check

When you come for the yearly vaccination of your cat, we also do a complete health check. This health check is important, because cats barely show when there’s something wrong with them. Just like with humans, diseases are always better to treat when you start the treatment in an early stage. We also advice you in the prevention of several diseases. This isn’t only good for the health of your cat, but may also save you a lot of money on treatment!

Other articles that may interest you
Show all articles